24/09/2013

I wish I had a time machine

As a teacher, I wish for lots of things; some things are completely unrealistic such as; shorter working hours and more time for planning. Some things are bit of an "If I'm lucky" wish such as; more money for resources, more curriculum time for German. Of course, it would be fantastic if those wishes came true but if I were only allowed 1 wish I think it would be a wish for a time machine. There are many things that you could do with a time machine, but I have 1 specific idea in mind.


4 years ago, I had a year 8 tutor group. On the whole they were a lovely group with the exception of a few individuals who never really caused too many issues. However, something happened to that group after the Christmas holidays. A small group of boys had suddenly changed from hard-working polite individuals to argumentative, mischievous, trouble-makers who regularly prayed on the vulnerable and identified targets for bullying.

After several phone calls home, I eventually managed to arrange a meeting with the boy's parents. I expressed my concerns only to be faced with a typical parent's response "I think you're exaggerating things, my child could not possibly behave like that" "You just don't understand how friends behave with each other, they're not causing any harm"

My biggest frustration was that one of the boys in the group could not see that his so-called friends were messing up his most important school years. He was a very intelligent and polite young man who, up until this point, had been very popular with both his teachers and peers. He excelled academically and had a bright future ahead of him. 

A few weeks of reports, bullying issues and racking up behaviour points went by and I decide to take a different approach. I spoke to the head of year and decided to split the group up. I informed the boys that 2 of them would be moving to a different tutor group. As you can imagine, they were not happy and a lot of abuse was hurled my way.

I sat down with 2 of the boys and explained that my decision to move them was for their own good. I told them that they'd regret it in 4 years time if they messed up their exams because they'd put their friends first. Of course, the boys disagreed and they continued to get into trouble.

Before the end of the term, they moved into different tutor groups and I noticed that soon after, their friendship groups changed. They started to focus more on rewards and improving their behaviour whilst the rest of the group continued on a decline with one of the boys eventually moving to another school.

Fast forward to 2013, both the boys are sitting in assembly waiting to hear who will be Head Boy in year 11. You can imagine the surprise when it is announced that the student who I was most concerned about in year 8 is now to become Head Boy. I look at him as the announcement is made and he has the biggest smile on his face.

After the assembly, he came over to me and said "Miss, I never thought I would ever be Head Boy. I am so very grateful that you moved me out of the tutor group in year 8 and I am very sorry for the grief I gave you." It was at that moment, that my heart melted.

So why do I wish for a time machine?

As a current year 7 tutor, I am faced with attitude on a daily basis in the form of an eleven year old. He has already decided that secondary school is not for him and that he will be making up his own rules.

With my time machine I would transport him 5 years into the future so that he could meet his year 11 self and realise that all the arguing and aggression is pointless and that one day, he may actually be thankful for his teacher's help.

For now, I'll keep wishing...

No comments:

Post a Comment