18/10/2019

Retrieval practice

I'm currently reading Tom Sherrington's book about Rosenshine's Principles in action, which talks about reviewing previously learnt material at the start of the lesson. As a languages teacher, it's vital that I constantly revisit vocabulary and grammar with my students to ensure they don't lose old knowledge when new knowledge is learnt. I've started creating a bank of retrieval style task that I use alongside "Recapping questions".
There are lots of retrieval tasks being shared on Twitter and mine are modelled on those.
I like the tasks that allow students to choose their own level of challenge and this style of task has proved popular with my students.

I also like the collection grid "Give me 5" task, which focuses on knowledge retrieval and is great to use as a starter or plenary.
Translation has been a big focus in my lessons this term and enjoy using something like Wordcloud to create topic vocabulary pictures that students can either use to create sentences or find the translations hidden in the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment